The adoption of cloud-based solutions has been so rampant. In fact, industry insiders predict the cloud market will hit $411 billion by next year. Company IT leaders are realizing the flexibility they find in the cloud — along with cost savings — make it a no-brainer to migrate data and applications to the cloud. Something that has to be considered alongside the migration is proper security in the cloud.
With the uptake of cloud solutions growing at a scorching pace, many security professionals are having a tough time keeping up. Firemon, a cloud security company, talked to 400 information security professionals for a survey that found 56% of respondents said cloud security is the responsibility of security operations, security compliance, and network security teams. The other 44% indicated cloud security was the responsibility of application owners and teams outside the security organization.
More important is what these security teams are doing to protect their environment, and nearly 60% said they use two or more different firewalls. Unfortunately, the vast majority (more than 80%) said they encounter limitations due to the complexity of the various security tools.
One way to fight these challenges and limitations is to bring in a third party, such an agent, who has a vast knowledge regarding the various tools on the market today and which ones would best suit individual organizations.
A New Approach
Improved security in the cloud is paramount to most security teams today given the number of cybercriminals working hard to exploit every possible weakness within an organization. Given an open door, they’ll walk right through, which is why implementing threat detection and monitoring the network with advanced technology have become go-to methods of protecting data.
Encryption is also on the forefront. By encrypting data, particularly sensitive data such as clients’ personally identifiable details, you’re making it essentially useless to hackers who have breached your firewalls or snuck in via phishing or through keylogging programs, etc.
And while security teams are largely held accountable for security in cloud solutions, it’s incumbent upon each individual with access to the network to know company policies and follow best practices to ensure the network is secure.
To get a better handle on your security in the cloud situation, you need an objective view from someone who knows what’s available and what will suit your needs. At eXemplify, we know from experience that our clients enjoy cost-efficiency, minimal investment, scalability, agility, flexibility, continuity, and security by partnering with us. Contact us today, and let’s protect your environment.