If there’s one thing that managed service providers (MSPs) can be sometimes, it’s predictable. The typical seasoned MSP already has its time-tested pitch laid out: sell the customer on predictable service levels and costs. But by now, most customers are already aware of the standard cost-saving benefits.
These days, companies see their IT departments as a revenue generating asset rather than just a cost-cutting tool. According to a recent Harvey Nash and KPMG LLC survey, 63% of CEOs polled wanted their CIOs to focus on IT projects that bring in additional revenue, while the remaining 37% of CEOs wanted their CIOs to focus on cutting costs. For MSPs to thrive, they must step away from the usual sales pitches and focus on how they can help profit-minded customers achieve their goals while keeping market trends in mind that can offer growth.
Redefining the Relationship
It’s understandable that MSPs are reluctant to move away from the strategies that helped them solidify relationships with their customers. But what customers need is for IT service providers to offer revenue generating tools and applications. In light of this, there are four important questions that MSPs must ask themselves prior to approaching their current and future clientele:
- What approaches can an MSP use to eliminate customer friction points and help reduce the physical distance between its customers and their end customers?
- What approaches can an MSP use to move customers closer to their end customers virtually?
- How can MSPs incorporate application performance management (APM) solutions, and what benefits can APM bring to their customers (and their end customers)?
- How can an MSP utilize the omni-channel approach to move its customers closer to their customers?
By asking the above questions, MSPs will have a better idea of what their customers are looking for when it comes to increased revenue opportunities.
The Beauty of the Discovery Call
For MSPs, the discovery call shouldn’t be about pitching managed IT services. Instead, it should be seen as an opportunity to discover what customers want and need from their providers. The discovery call gives MSPs a chance to learn about their potential clients — what their needs are, what challenges they’re facing, and other key details that can go a long way towards building long-lasting relationships and giving customers exactly what they need.
MSPs can use the discovery call as a way to answer the questions offered above and start moving in the direction of becoming a revenue-generating partner instead of a mere service provider.
If you’re looking to increase your company’s profitability, eXemplify can help. Contact us today to schedule a session with one of our experts.